Looking for your superpower? Here are 6 reasons to drink more green tea!
When your cup contains green tea you are accessing its incredible superpowers. One of the reasons green tea contains so many health benefits is how it is harvested. There is minimal drying and processing which helps preserve the polyphenols and epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) compounds found naturally in the leaves of the tea plant, Camellia sinesis.
These compounds have been shown to help reduce the risk of cancer, lower blood cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, boost metabolism, and deliver powerful antioxidants to fight free radicals.
Green Tea Processing – the cornerstone of the superpower
Green teas, while made from the same plant as black teas, are made from leaves that have been unoxidized. The leaves are harvested with care to keep the leaves whole and unbroken, preventing oxidization. The leaves are left to wilt for several hours before they are steamed from 30 to 120 seconds (the longer the steaming, the deeper the color and richer and smoother the flavor). This steaming process, while brief, stops the oxidation process, capturing the green color and bright flavor. Cooler air is introduced quickly to prevent any further unintended oxidization, “locking in” the qualities and health benefits of green tea. This minimal and gentle processing of the leaves gives green tea superior antioxidant and polyphenol levels, as more of the health benefiting qualities of the tea leaves are preserved.
Green Tea’s Health Benefits Superpowers
According to an extensive study published by the National Library of Medicine, Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), antioxidants, and the amino acid, L-theanine found naturally in green tea is full of powerful health benefits.
1) Healthy skin – Green tea, rich in EGCG has been shown to prevent UV absorption by the skin. Over time, together with sunscreen, the skin receives less damage. This together with the polyphenols in green tea, a powerful antioxidant prevents skin damage from free radicals which can breakdown collagen resulting in fine lines and loss of firmness.
2) Reduced blood cholesterol- The polyphenols and epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) compounds in green tea have been shown to help lower blood cholesterol levels and lower blood pressure. Green tea polyphenols have been shown to inhibit the absorption of lipids from the intestines and facilitate the conversion of cholesterol into bile acids, helping with blood cholesterol levels.
3) Reduced blood pressure –Studies have shown that consumption of green tea is associated with blood vessel relaxation, which aids in reduced blood pressure.
4) Weight loss - Did you know that drinking coffee (and it's not the caffeine) can result in elevated levels of cortisol and insulin, leading to weight gain? Remember, elevated insulin puts a lock on body fat. According to Oprah's blog, if you substitute green tea for coffee, and do nothing else differently, you can lose up to 10 pounds in six weeks.
5) Mood Booster – Besides antioxidants and EGCG green tea also contains the amino acid L-theanine. L-theanine increases the activity of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA, which has anti-anxiety effects. It also increases dopamine and the production of alpha waves in the brain. If you really want to geek out on the science, here are two detailed articles from the National Library of Medicine: 8Trusted Source, 9Trusted Source. Together with the small amounts of caffeine in green tea, this can increase a feeling of well-being and overall brain functioning.
6) Energy booster - Green tea contains low levels of caffeine and is a gentle and effective energy booster. An eight ounce serving of green tea contains 28mg of caffeine compared to 90mg in black coffee, and can be enjoyed throughout the day without the jittery side effects of other caffeinated beverages. Many people report having more stable energy and being much more productive when they drink green tea, compared with coffee.
Drinking green tea, whether it is a Jasmine Petal, Tropical Green, Tamyakucha, or even a matcha delivers superpower health benefits that can protect your skin, heart, brain and body and help you unleash your own superpower!